Education & Professional Experience
- B.S., California Institute of Technology (Biology)
- M.S., Ph.D., Yale University (Botany)
NSF Predoctoral Fellow
- NSF Postdoctoral Fellow, Eberhard-Karls Universitaet Tubingen
- National Cancer Institute Postdoctoral Fellow, UCLA
- University of California, Santa Barbara 1961-1973:
Assistant Professor of Botany
Associate Professor of Biochemistry
Chair, Department of Biological Sciences
- Research Collaborator, Brookhaven National Lab
- University of Connecticut, 1973-1977:
Head, Biological Sciences Group
- NSF Senior Postdoctoral Fellow, Bedford College, University of London
- NSF Senior Postdoctoral Fellow, Harvard University
- Harvey Mudd College, 1977-1995:
Stuart Mudd Professor of Biology
Initial member, Chair, Department of Biology
Professor Emeritus, 1996-
- Visiting Fellow (Computer Science), Yale University
- Visiting Scholar (The Learning Sciences), Northwestern University
- Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science
Students made it worth it...
...but grading sucked.
Some favorites from different stages of my plant physiological avatar:
Purves, W. K., and W. S. Hillman. 1959. Experimental separation of gibberellin and auxin actions in etiolated pea epicotyl sections. Physiol. Plantarum 12: 786-798.
Galston, A. W., and W. K. Purves. 1960. The mechanism of action of auxin.Annu. Rev. Plant Physiol. 11: 239-276.
Katsumi, M., W. K. Purves, B. O. Phinney, and J. Kato. 1965. The role of the cotyledons in gibberellin- and auxin-induced elongation of the cucumber hypocotyl. Physiol. Plantarum 18: 550-556.
Purves, W. K., and C. H. Fricker. 1966. Promotion of hypocotyl growth by secondary alcohols. Zeitschr. Pflanzenphysiol. 54: 203-212.
Rayle, D. L., and W. K. Purves. 1967. Isolation and identification of indole-3-ethanol (tryptophol) from cucumber seedlings. Plant Physiol. 42: 520-524.
Percival, F. W., W. K. Purves, and L. E. Vickery. 1973. Indole-3-ethanoloxidase: kinetics, inhibition, and regulation by auxins. Plant Physiol. 51: 739-743.
Brown, H. M., and W. K. Purves. 1980. Indoleacetaldehyde reductase of Cucumis sativus L. Kinetic properties and role in auxin biosynthesis. Plant Physiol. 65: 107-113.
Sonner, J. M., and W. K. Purves. 1985. Natural occurrence of indole-3-acetylaspartate and indole-3-acetylglutamate in cucumber shoot tissue. Plant Physiol. 77: 784-785.
My Ph.D. "children"