The HMCSI Mentors are employees of Harvey Mudd College and work collaboratively with the Office of Institutional Diversity (OID), Dean of Students Office and the Office of Academic Affairs under the supervision of OID staff.
Position Title: HMCSI Mentor
Supervisor: HMCSI Head Mentor
Rate of Pay: $2000.00 Stipend
Term of Employment: July 30 - August 28, 2012
Location: Office of Institutional Diversity
301 Platt Blvd
Duties and Responsibilities
- Contact HMCSI participants prior to their arrival on August 2, 2012
- Develop mentoring relationships with HMCSI participants
- Provide academic coaching and support for HMCSI participants
- Convene regular meetings with HMCSI participants
- Assist with HMCSI Opening Day and implementation of HMCSI orientation for HMCSI participants
- Assist with diversity and personal development workshops and Boojum Institute Challenge Course activities
- Serve as a peer advisor for HMCSI participants on academic and personal matters
- Assist with effort to acquaint HMCSI participants with academic and personal services offered by the Claremont Colleges
- Produce social, cultural, volunteer and recreational activities
- Provide on-call services including first aid, counseling, and conflict resolution for students; assist HMCSI Head Mentor in response to emergencies
- Enforce all appropriate HMC and HMCSI rules and regulations
- Assist HMCSI Head Mentor and OID staff in addressing unexpected needs of HMCSI participants, faculty and staff which arise during the program
- Applicants must be full-time HMC students in good academic standing.
- Applicants must be in good standing with Disciplinary and Judicial Boards, and the College's Sexual Harassment Officer.
- Applicants must be familiar with and able to enforce HMC and HMCSI policies and procedures.
- Applicants must be able to work with confidential information.
- Applicants should feel comfortable working with diverse groups, including women & ethnic minorities.
- Applicants should be able to effectively supervise and oversee groups of students.
- Applicants should have strong interpersonal, leadership, organizational, communication and team skills.
- Applicants should be able to follow instructions, work with minimal supervision, and manage and complete multiple tasks.
- Interest in developing awareness to diversity and personal development issues
- Fluency in other languages
- Able to become an HMC authorized driver, if in possession of a valid driver's license
Terms of Employment
- All mentors must reside on campus during the entire term of employment - Monday, July 30 through Tuesday, August 28, 2012.
- All mentors must participate in all Summer Institute staff training sessions.
- All mentors must assist with the opening and closing of HMCSI students’ rooms at the beginning and end of the program.
- All mentors must participate in all staff meetings.
- All mentors must remain on campus when supervising the students, organizing activities and/or on duty during program hours. Frequent or extended absences from campus during the program must be approved by the HMCSI Head Mentor and/or OID staff.
- Prior to assuming the position in July, all mentors must obtain certification in standard first-aid and adult CPR from the Red Cross (the College will reimburse employees for the cost of First-Aid training).
- As HMC employees, all mentors must comply with the College’s blood-borne pathogen exposure policy - If exposed to any bodily fluids while serving as an HMCSI mentor, the College requires and pays for employee to obtain a preventative series of immunization injections.
- All mentors will receive a stipend, in addition to room and board during the period of employment.