The HMCSI Head Mentor is an employee of Harvey Mudd College and works collaboratively with the Office of Institutional Diversity (OID), Dean of Students Office and the Office of Academic Affairs under the supervision of OID staff.
Position Title: HMCSI Head Mentor
Supervisor: Associate and Assistant Deans of OID
Rate of Pay: $2500.00 Stipend
Term of Employment: July 29 - August 28, 2012
Location: Office of Institutional Diversity
301 Platt Blvd
Duties and Responsibilities
- Supervise and direct the day-to-day activities of HMCSI Mentors
- Provide coaching and support for, and develop mentoring relationships with HMCSI Mentors
- Convene and facilitate regular meetings with HMCSI Mentors
- Assist OID staff in HMCSI Mentors selection process
- Assist OID staff in development and facilitation of HMCSI Mentor training activities, as well as HMCSI orientation for students and parents
- Assist OID staff with the coordination of diversity and personal development workshops
- Serve as a peer advisor for HMCSI participants on academic and personal matters
- Coordinate effort to acquaint HMCSI participants with academic and personal services offered by the Claremont Colleges
- Coordinate production of social, cultural, volunteer and recreational activities
- Provide on-call services including first aid, counseling, and conflict resolution for students; serve as first response to emergency situations
- Enforce all appropriate HMC and HMCSI rules and regulations
- Assist OID staff in addressing unexpected needs of HMCSI participants, Mentors, faculty and staff which arise during the program.
- Applicants must be full-time HMC students in good academic standing.
- Applicants must be in good standing with Disciplinary and Judicial Boards, and the College's Sexual Harassment Officer.
- Applicants must be familiar with and able to enforce HMC and HMCSI policies and procedures.
- Applicants must be able to work with confidential information.
- Applicants should have experience working with diverse groups, including women & ethnic minorities.
- Applicants should be able to effectively supervise a team and oversee groups of students.
- Applicants should have strong interpersonal, leadership, organizational, communication and team skills.
- Applicants should be able to follow instructions, work with minimal supervision, and manage and complete multiple tasks.
- Previous participation in HMCSI, as a participant or mentor
- Interest in increasing awareness to diversity and personal development issues
- Fluency in other languages
- Able to become an HMC authorized driver, if in possession of a valid driver's license
Terms of Employment
- The HMCSI Head Mentor must reside on campus during the entire term of employment - Sunday, July 29 through Tuesday, August 28, 2012.
- The HMCSI Head Mentor must participate in all Summer Institute staff training sessions.
- The HMCSI Head Mentor will coordinate and assist with the opening and closing of HMCSI students’ rooms at the beginning and end of the program.
- The HMCSI Head Mentor will conduct regular staff meetings with HMCSI Mentors.
- The HMCSI Head Mentor must remain on campus when supervising the mentors, organizing activities and/or on duty during program hours. Frequent or extended absences from campus during the program must be approved by the Associate or Assistant Dean of OID.
- Prior to assuming the position in July, the HMCSI Head Mentor must obtain certification in standard first-aid and adult CPR from the Red Cross (the College will reimburse employees for the cost of First-Aid training).
- As an HMC employee, the HMCSI Head Mentor must comply with the College’s blood-borne pathogen exposure policy - If exposed to any bodily fluids while serving as the HMCSI Head Mentor, the College requires and pays for employee to obtain a preventative series of immunization injections.
- The HMCSI Head Mentor will receive a stipend, in addition to room and board during the period of employment.