The Office of Institutional Diversity (OID) works with the entire Harvey Mudd College community to support the academic mission of the college, and to ensure that diversity, in all its forms, is understood, respected and valued. To that end, OID seeks to prepare all community members for leadership in society by first leading community members to:
- Assume responsibility for cultivating an environment where the uniqueness, background, and experience of every person are appreciated.
- Embrace diversity and inclusion as core personal values, and commit to exploring and accepting their own value as multi-dimensional people.
- Seek to engage their hearts as well as their intellect in the exploration of the myriad of diversity issues.
Further, OID will coordinate, promote, and advocate for a comprehensive set of programs and resources designed to:
- Create opportunities for dialogue and expression of, sometimes, opposing points of view in a civil environment.
- Celebrate the contributions of diverse people at Harvey Mudd College and beyond.
- Challenge intellectual and personal growth.
- Draw upon the gifts and talents of Harvey Mudd students, staff, faculty and administration.
- Promote broad involvement in campus life, as well as The Claremont Colleges by community members.
HMC's nondiscrimination policy
The College prohibits unlawful discrimination in employment decisions and any of its employment policies, procedures and practices; admission policies; educational programs; scholarship and loan programs; and other College-administered programs and activities because of a person's status or characteristics protected by federal, state and local laws (see Section I, Purpose).
Accommodation: The College will make reasonable accommodation for physical and/or mental limitations of students and qualified employees or applicants with disabilities, unless an accommodation results in an undue hardship for the College. Requests for accommodation from faculty, staff and applicants for employment should be directed to the Human Resources Office. Requests for accommodation from students should be directed to the Dean of Students Office.