Posting Number: H0272 Posting Date: June 28, 2013 Closing Date: Until Filled.
What to include with your application: An applicaiton is required and is available at www.hmc.edu/employment or in the Human Resources Office.
Information about the position: Starting hourly rate is $10.82. Schedule is Monday-Friday, 12:30 a.m. - 9:00 a.m. Hours may vary due to the needs of the department or College. This is a full-time, 12-months per year, benefits-eligible position reporting to the Custodial Services Manager.
What the successful candidate will do: Under general supervision, performs duties related to the housekeeping operations of the College. Performs routine and non-routine duties, participates in set-up and breakdown for special events and moves furniture. Performs a variety of cleaning tasks requiring physical fitness, safe-working practices, knowledge of cleaning chemicals, methods, procedures, supplies and equipment. Maintains facilities in a clean, orderly and safe condition.
- Cleans offices, classrooms, science facilities, lecture halls, athletic facilities, rest rooms and residential quarters; performs periodic and annual cleaning services/duties.
- Cleans toilets, urinals, windows, furnishings and light fixtures; changes light bulbs, sweeps and vacuums. Dusts and polishes a variety of surfaces and washes walls. Cleans and disinfects a variety of surfaces. Cleans writing surfaces and erasers.
- Scrubs and refinishes floors and carpets; refinishes hard, resilient and wood floors; operates mechanical floor cleaners, polishers and carpet cleaning equipment.
- Disposes of trash and other debris. Removes graffiti.
- Performs furniture set-up and breakdown for meetings and special events; moves furniture, such as desks, chairs, mattresses and other furniture.
- Services dispensing machines; activates and deactivates electronic alarm systems, secures facilities.
- Requests cleaning supplies and materials. Maintains well-stocked and organized supply closets and carts.
- Performs minor repairs, including minor plumbing, mechanical or electrical repairs, which may include replacing washers in simple basin faucets, replace light bulbs, or tighten window or door hinges, knobs, locks.
- Participates in emergency response activities. Responds to emergency situations, including turning off water and gas and other appropriate actions.
- Performs other related duties.
What the ideal candidate will bring to this position and HMC:
- Any combination of education, training and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and ability for the position.
- Requires the following key competencies:
- interpersonal skills
- communication skills- verbal and written
- listening skills
- problem analysis and problem-solving
- attention to detail and accuracy
- customer service orientation
- initiativeMay be required to possess a valid California Driver's License and a driving record acceptable to the Colleges' insurance carrier.
- May be required to satisfactorily complete a post-offer functional capacity physical test.
- Knowledge of maintenance, use, safe operation and repair of cleaning supplies, tools and equipment; knowledge of cleaning chemicals and safe working practices and procedures.
- Ability to learn proper use of fire extinguishers.
- Ability to stand, walk, bend, climb, push, pull, stoop, twist, stretch, lift up to 50 pounds from floor to waist level without assistance, climb ladders up to 20 feet with assistance and up to 10 feet unassisted, and be able to work on feet for prolonged periods of time.
- Ability to effectively and efficiently clean and maintain an assigned area within a predetermined time schedule.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions in English.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships.
- Ability to work well without continuous supervision.
- A willingness and ability to work overtime in emergency situations.
- Demonstrated commitment to and proven skills in providing quality customer service.
- Ability to maintain open channels of communication with student, faculty, staff and off campus constituents.
- Ability to respond promptly to customer inquiries.
- Ability to handle and resolve customer complaints
- Ability to direct requests and unresolved issues to the appropriate resource for resolution.
- Ability to learn internal processes and report details of inquiries, comments, complaints and actions taken to the appropriate resource for resolution.
- Ability to effectively work individually or in teams as well as with diverse groups.
- Ability to take initiative and follow-up on matters as needed and as appropriate.
- Ability to work effectively in a service oriented environment subject to frequently changing priorities.
- Ability to observe and practice safe working habits.
- Minimum of one year paid employment experience in custodial or building maintenance assignment(s).