CIS offers five printers for student printing. They are best accessed using the Student Printing queue, which sends the job to all five printers, then is released once a user authenticates using HMC Credentials. Instructions for setting up Student Printing are as follows:
Installing the queue:
1. Open System Preferences and go to Print & Scan or Print & Fax.
2.Click the + button to add a new printer.
3. Select the “Advanced” icon at the top.
note: If you do not have an “Advanced” icon, right click (ctl-click) on one of the other icons and select “Customize Toolbar”. Drag the “Advanced” icon up into the toolbar.
4. Under “Type”, select “Windows”.
5. Type the url smb://print.hmc.edu/studentprinting into the box labeled “URL”.
6. Under “Print Using”, select “Generic PostScript Printer” and click “Add”. If you want to enable double-sided printing, ensure the “Duplex Printing Unit” box is checked. Then, click “Continue”. You will then be configured for student printing at HMC.
Windows XP/Vista/7/8 Printer Installation:
1. Go to “Run” (windows key +r) and enter \\print.hmc.edu\
2. When prompted, enter your HMC Credentials (hmc\username) to access the folder. If using a personal system, check "Remember my credentials".
2. Right click on student printing, and select “connect”
3. The correct driver will be automatically configured, and the studentprinting queue will be added to the list of configured printers.
Windows 7 Printer Credential Configuration
Once the shared printer is installed, the username and password used during installation will be stored until the system is restarted or the user account is logged off. In order to save the username and password to maintain continuous access to Student Printing, follow these steps:
1. In the Start menu, search for "credential manager" and open Credential Manager.
2. Select "Add a Windows credential"
3. Enter the network address and HMC Credentials as shown below:
4. Click "Ok", your credentials for accessing Student Printing will now be stored on your system.
1. Navigate to "System Settings", "Printers", "Add Printer".
2. In the left pane, select "Network Printer", followed by "Windows Printer via SAMBA.
3. In the right pane enter the printer address as smb://print.hmc.edu/studentprinting.
4. Select "Set authentication details now" and enter HMC Credentials as hmc\username and the corresponding password.
5. At the "Choose Driver" prompt, select "Generic" followed by "Generic Postscript Printer Foomatic/Postscript"
6. At the "Describe Printer" prompt, enter a printer name and description. We recommend "HMCStudentPrinting" for the Printer Name and "Prints to Astro, Clifford, Cujo, Rover, and Toto" for the description.
Printing with Student Printing places your job in a queue that can be accessed at any of the 5 network student printers.
1. Print your job to the student printing queue. The default names is Student Printing.
2. If you are logged into a lab computer with your HMC credentials, the document will be sent straight to the queue.
3. If you are logged into a lab computer with a generic login (e.g. “hmcguest”) or are using your own computer, a pop-up window will ask for your HMC credentials (hmc/username).
note: If you are logged in with a generic login, do not select the “Remember me”
or “Remember this in my keychain” option (other students will print to your
account and you will not be able to access their documents).
Correct OS X authentication syntax.
4. Once you have sent your document to the queue, go to the printer to which you want to print and login with your HMC credentials at the release station. Select the document you want to print from the screen.
5. Retrieve your document from the printer.
note: your print job will be stored in the queue for 24 hours.
You may want to print documents from back to front, instead of front to back. To configure these settings, please refer to this document:
The Pages of my Document are Printing in Reverse Order, what do I do?
Print using the web interface:
1. Go to https://print.hmc.edu:9192/app
2. Enter your HMC Credentials (the same username/password used to log in to Charlie or Gmail)
3. Click on the “Web Print” tab on the left, then on “Submit a Job”
4. Follow the prompts to select the student printing queue and number of copies, then upload your document.
5. Your document has now been sent to the student printing queue. Walk up to any of the release stations located near the printers and enter your HMC Credentials to release your job.
The five printers configured for student printing are as follows:
|Location||Linde Activities Center, 2nd floor lab|
|Model||HP LaserJet 9050DN|
|Location||Sprague, 1st floor|
|Model||HP LaserJet 8150DN|
|Location||Linde Activities Center, 1st floor|
|Model||HP LaserJet 4345 MFP (Copy/Scan/Print)|
|Location||Platt Campus Center, Mailroom|
|Model||HP LaserJet 9050DN|
|Location||Shanahan Center, 1st floor cafe|
|Model||HP LaserJet M9050 MFP (Copy/Scan/Print)|