CIS Commitment To Excellence: Our facilities and resources will be conducive to study, work, and research. We will offer courteous, prompt, and accurate client services that provide the assistance you need, or we will put you in direct contact with someone who can.
The mission of Harvey Mudd College Computing and Information Services (CIS) is to facilitate the access, collection, management, and analysis of academic and enterprise-wide information in support of the college's mission. CIS strives to be an agile organization that enables learning and research through the application of state-of-the-art technologies and methods to fulfill and anticipate client needs.
Computing and Information Services is firmly committed to providing the highest level of resources and services for Mudd students, faculty, and staff. Inside this document you will find our general and specific standards of excellence for each service area. CIS will measure our success by the quality of service we deliver to you. We have specific, measurable goals in place for every service unit, many of which are described in this document. We will make every effort to meet or exceed these service goals. We will continually evaluate and update these standards. We value your opinions. If you have suggestions to improve this service statement or our operations, please let us know. In addition, all CIS staff members will gratefully accept your compliments, questions or quandaries.
Make service to you our top priority. We will:
- Acknowledge you promptly and assist you within five minutes. We will expeditiously make special arrangements if you have a complex request, a consulting need, or a research problem that cannot be resolved immediately.
- Answer phones immediately and offer to call you back if we must put your call on hold for more than three minutes. Respond to voice mail or electronic mail messages within 1 business day of our return.
- Provide services on a most-needed basis for all CIS staffed facilities. Display staff and consultant hours prominently at all sites, on voice mail, and online.
- Engage in effective communication by: regularly publishing newsletters and guides; meeting with faculty liaisons and department chairs at least once a year; and, soliciting feed-back through surveys and focus groups.
- Respond to signed comments, suggestions or complaints within 5 business days. Widely publicize changes in our services or resources, and provide opportunities for training for new services.
CLIENT ASSISTANCE SERVICES
Assist you in the use of information resources and provide you with the training you need to use them on your own. We will:
- Provide customized and in-depth consulting services, which will be scheduled within 1 business day of a request to the Help Desk.
- Respond to online inquiries within 1 business day.
- Offer a regular series of seminars about any supported service or system to any individual or group that requests it.
- Make available comprehensive, easy to follow, and up-to-date instructions and guides for our services on line and at the Help Desk.
- Publish standards and guidelines for the software and hardware that we support, and that are essential for network and database compatibility.
- Aid in the assessment of your information needs, develop and evaluate potential solutions, and implement agreed upon solutions.
COMPUTING AND COMMUNICATION SYSTEMS
Provide excellent computing and communication systems to meet your needs. We will:
- Ensure the reliability and at least 99% average availability of all electronic information systems, including central servers and networks.
- Provide at least three weeks notice of major planned operating system and software changes.
- Announce planned downtime at least 48 hours in advance, and schedule maintenance and downtime during low use hours.
- Maintain back up files on all campus-wide systems so we can restore or reload lost or corrupted files within 1 business day.
- Respond to reported or potential security violations on the same day.
- Maintain strict confidentiality at all times for all centrally stored files and e-mail messages.
- Investigate immediately any reports of a suspected virus or hacker.
COMPUTING LABS AND DESKTOP SERVICES
Provide well-maintained computer labs, and support desktop systems throughout the campus. We will:
- Ensure the reliability and at least 99% average availability of desktop computers and printers at all public computing locations.
- Provide adequate desktop computing systems and network bandwidth in computing labs to meet academic needs.
- Provide general purpose printing at all public computing locations.
- Guarantee that operating systems and key applications supported by CIS are current and network compatible.
- Provide you with an initial repair assessment within 1 business day when supported computing equipment is dropped off for repair or within 2 business days if a site visit is required.
- Provide adequate desktop computing systems and network bandwidth for faculty and staff members to support their work for the college.
CLASSROOM AND MEDIA SERVICES
Provide well-maintained computer classrooms, and support audiovisual instruction in designated classrooms throughout the campus. We will:
- Respond immediately to problems in classrooms with instructor stations, projection equipment, or any other malfunctions that interfere with the progress of a scheduled class, and respond to all other such problems within 1 business day.
- Deliver and set up computer and media display equipment in classrooms when scheduled 2 business days in advance.
- Provide well-maintained, accessible basic and advanced media production facilities for faculty, staff, and students to produce presentation and other media materials, with documentation and limited staff available to provide assistance.
CIS CLIENTS: CIS primarily serves the students, faculty, and staff involved in academic, research or administrative activities of the College. Limited services are available to faculty and students of the other Claremont College and of other academic institutions. Cognizant of a special relationship with Mudd alumni, CIS offers selected services to graduates, some without a fee and others at a reduced rate. Computing resources are not available to members of the general public. Non-Mudd individuals and corporations may purchase selected services on a fee-based arrangement.