HMC provides VPN support to our campus users who require mobility and flexibility to work or research while away from campus. While it is preferred that campus constituents use the CISCO client CIS can install, we also provide a web interface for those who have an urgent, but not regular need.
Modifying your client to work with the new VPN system
If you have a CISCO client installed by CIS, you may make the following changes to the profile in order to restore service.
- Open the client software
- Select your connection profile
- Click 'modify'
- Change the following:
Host = vpn.claremont.edu
Group = HMC-LDAP
Password = hmcldap
Note: Both group and password are case sensitive.
- From this point on, you will use your LDAP, zimbra, and sakai password to access the VPN.
Accessing the VPN from the Claremont web portal
Note that java is required to use this portal. Please turn off any script or pop-up blocker for this site.
- Open a web browser (Firefox and Internet Explorer are known to work. Safari does not work consistently and Opera has not been tested.)
- Put http://vpn.claremont.edu into the address bar.
- Select HMC-LDAP from the drop down menu.
- Provide your LDAP user name and password. (Same as zimbra or sakai.)
- Wait for the client to install and connect.
- An icon will display in the tray with your system time that looks like two dots with a slanted line. A yellow lock will appear in the bottom right of the icon when the connection is completely established.
- To disengage the VPN connection when done, you may right-click the icon and select either disconnect or quit. Please disconnect at a minimum when connection is not in use.