Why are employers using Twitter?
- Cheaper alternative to big online job boards
- Small organizations that don’t have a careers section of their web and can’t afford a job board advertise here.
- Provides a screening tool for positions that receive a high yield of candidates (i.e., entry-level positions)
- Targets social-media-savvy job hunters and conveys an innovative image
Why should you use Twitter?
- Offers the chance to interact one-on-one with recruiters
- Keeps you up-to-the minute with new job notifications
- You know for sure that the organization is actively recruiting for this position
- Offers you the chance to research what is happening and what is being said about an organization
Things you should consider:
- You should pick a name that is professional
- Tweet with care! ( “Hey dude, you got any jobs in California?”)
- Have a separate personal and professional twitter account and be careful about what you tweet
- If you are using Twitter to build a brand/presence on the web, you should especially be careful of your posts
Twitter Accounts to Find Jobs
ConnectTweet – Allows you to see what is going on inside the doors of a potential company, through the Tweets of their employees.
TwitterJobCast – Allows you to see who is hiring by browsing for jobs by city, state or zip code. It works by making requests to the Twitter API. Additionally, the Yahoo! Maps API is used to translate locations into geocodes for use with the Twitter API.
TwitterJobSearch – You can use this open source search engine for jobs posted on Twitter; many of these jobs are tech-related.
TweetBeep – You sign-up for an account, confirm your email and set up alerts to be delivered to your email similar to Google Alerts.
SummerJob – You can find the hottest and highest paid summer jobs in America, which are delivered every few hours.
StudentJobs – You can find the hottest and highest paid student jobs in America.
GreenBizJobs - Find your dream job from a select group of highly qualified employers, all with a focus on green, cleantech and sustainable business practices.
Greenerjobs – You can find aggregated better and greener jobs from all over the Internet for future-forward professionals.
Coolclimatejobs – You can look for jobs in climate, clean energy, and low carbon industries.
HireBioMedical – You can see pharmaceutical, biotech and biomedical employers looking for the talent they need.
Jobsmedical – Allows you to find health care and medical jobs.